weight gaining

I am HIV poz for 3 yrs now. My first meds were Sustiva and Truvada - for almost a year I took these meds and I was 140 lbs before I started taking them meds. Then after I told my doctor that I wanted to get pregnant she gave me Norvir, Reyataz. I started gaining weight like nobody's business! I became 166. I talked to my doctor again about it, she changed them not to long ago, about 3-4vmonths now and I gained 7 lbs already - and I started going to Gym at the same time when I started the new meds, still I gained, I workout 5 times a week and I spend at least 2 hrs, running, walking, lifting all kind of workout now I am 173lbs - I don't know if this workout is going to help me anyhow, cause I am really really depressed about all this weight issues - Can you please give some advice about it. I will really appreciate. Thanks

Response from Dr. Conway

Your weight gain is intriguing. I would first want to know what your ideal weight might be. As it turns out, people who go on effective treatment for their HIV infection often start out underweight and then gain weight, often overshooting what the ideal weight might be. In addition to this, I would ask if your diet may be contributing to the weight gain. Finally, I would want to know if your body composition suggests that this is lipodystrophy/lipoaccumulation. If it is, we might then want to look at your medications. The nucleoside backbone may play a role (although not so much Truvada), and the small amount of ritonavir you are taking may need to be reviewed.

Ear ringing
Managing Folliculitis