Elderly & HIV Positive

I am a 63 year old Gay man and I was diagnosed with HIV at age 60. I am still treatment naive with a viral load just under 14,000 and a T-cell count of 450. I work out at the gym 2-3 days a week, have a healthy eating pattern and get regular checkups. My blood pressure, kidney function, live function, prostate, heart, cholesterol are perfect. I have never smoked, have not done drugs of any kind and do not drink. I am within my normal weight range and have no significant health problems. Many of my relatives have lived to be very elderly (example, my maternal grandmother lived to nearly 100). I assume that eventually I will go on HART medications and will be adherent as humanly possible. My question involves probable life span. How old is/was the oldest person living with HIV? Although retired, I still enjoy an active life mentally and physically. I have a happy and positive attitude, have no problem disclosing my HIV status, am 100% committed to safe sex, do a lot of volunteer work related to HIV, and would welcome the title "oldest poz guy." Would I be realistic in holding on to the possibility of living into my 90's despite HIV?

Response from Dr. Conway

I am not sure how to find out who the oldest person living with HIV might be. Google is of no help, and there are no articles on this. I would say that a number of people have lived into their 80s with HIV infection. It might be a good idea for you to consider treatment sooner rather than later, due to the increased risk of side effects of the medications you might be taking as well as the overall poorer prognosis of people living with HIV at an older age.

RE: does age affect outcome?
Ear ringing