RE: does age affect outcome?

I'm 57, poz since 54. CD4 levels boucing around the 350 range around 30%. VL never above 6,000. Otherwise in excellent health. I'm trying to hold off taking meds as long as possible for the usual reasons. Resistance testing shows resistance to all NNRTI group, genotype tests suggest further problem mutations. Getting different opinions on what to eventually take. Anyway, with my labs should I consider meds sooner than later because of my age?

Response from Dr. Conway

You should consider treatment sooner rather than later. The prognosis of untreated HIV infection is poorer for you than for someone of a younger age, over and apart from the fact that, due to the resistance pattern you are describing and the increased risk of side effects at an older age, it may take some time to find and fine tune the ideal regimen for you.

I actually wrote an article on this topic in Geriatrics and Aging, Vol 3, Number 7, September 2000. It is still quite current if you want to have a look at it.

pml-hiv+
Elderly & HIV Positive