Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV from drinking scotch.
Jul 18, 2007

Hi Dr. Brian,

I had been here to a restaurant, and then I was drinking scotch. I realised that one of the bartender suddenly poked into something, and had a finger injury and she was bleeding. Because it was busy, she was just filling up the orders(drinks) without taking care of the injury. Later on after fifteen minutes, when it became a little slow, the manager brought a bandaid for her. Looking at this, I ordered the drink from a different bartender, I ordered a scotch, if there was blood was in the ice or in my drink, and if the blood was HIV infected, am I at risk of getting HIV?

I drank the scotch, I get this doubt because she was busy giving drinks to that waitress, without taking care of the injury. So, she was using the hand in the same ice for every drink. Please answer, i am getting so paranoid about this.

Response from Dr. Conway

I will start by telling you that I have never heard of HIV being transmitted in this way. In theory, what would be required is for the live virus in the infected person's blood to survive being soaked in alcohol (the scotch), then survive being in your mouth (where enzymes that break down the virus are present) then enter your bloodstream through an open sore in your mouth. If the virus got down to your stomach, the acid there would surely kill it and that would be that. I would not even worry about the risk of HIV transmission from this event.

Previous
Oral Lichen Planus
Next
HIV PCR's

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.