eating, sleeping & fat

Hey Doctors,

Thanks for all the great advice here!! Ive benefited from this site many times and appreciate it.

I started meds about 2 months ago and currently take Epzicom 600mg and Sustiva 600mg before bedtime approx. 10:30 pm. My VL is undetectable and cd4 is 650.

I still have a little trouble sleeping and wake up sometimes at night. I was thinking about taking melatonin. What do you think? Would this interfere with my regimen and great results?

My biggest problem on the meds is taking on an empty stomach as I sometimes have late dinners and if there late I usually eat badfat and greasy.this is my only vice and maybe once a month. Am I really doing any damage?

I also worry about Facial Lipoatrophy and lipodystrophy, Im a little paranoid that Im noticing it, are my meds the best for fighting this? And how quickly does this condition become noticeable? Is it possible for it to start before meds are started?

Thanks again

J

Melatonin 1-3 mg (often taken with a diphenhydramine 25-50 mg) is generally OK to take with your HIV regimen to see if that provides some help with sleep. The rate of fat problems with Sustiva/Epzicom has been very low compared to many other regimens. There is no proven available preventative to minimize fat problems that I can recommend in the setting of already taking a fat friendly HIV regimen. We need more information on the rate of fat problems over the long term with a regimen such as yours (studies are underway) and better treatment options for fat gain/loss. KH

The Doctors on here are not so knowledable in my opinion.
Ready to say f--- it!