Does a patient's age affect outcome?

I am newly infected, and am 43. I read in one of your email answers that the age when infected affects mortality rates. If so, how?

So, at what age would that ratio begin to tilt against me?

Age has a general effect on decreasing the degree of CD4 recovery on antiretroviral therapy (there is a wide range of residual thymic tissue/function that generally decreases with age). The lower the CD4 count and the older the patient then the chances to recovery CD4 counts > 500 ( a goal of therapy to minimize HIV related health problems in the future) are generally lower. There is no routine test for thymic function and no clear cut level to start antiretroviral therapy factoring in age-that decision needs to be individualized but the lower the CD4 count is < 350 the more I try to convince patients to start treatment. KH

Switching treatment
Impotence as ART Side effects.