1 year leg pain,cramps. enough!.

Thank you for listening. This site is very helpfull. I wonder...should I try to find some new doctors or try massage, chiropracter, acupuncture and diet change.. i have had leg pain, cramps, charlie horses .. for a year now. The past 3 days i have been mostly sitting on the sofa. last month went to see rhumatoligist and a neurologist. had lots of blood tests,thyroid, even x rays on my knees. all inconclusive. I said no to the test where they insert needles in the muscles and send a current through... no meds for pain. tried tylenol, advil now aspirin. Tried yoga, streatching, hot baths are a daily here, the water eases the pain for a bit.self medication by using pot and beer to aleviate the pain is not the answer. Dr. won't give me any pain meds. I am not an addict so i don't understand who they make pills for. i am on truvada norvir and reyataz. Dr. said it is not the meds. i just want to stop the meds. i have been wth my Dr. for over 10 years. Should i get a second opinion. i started hiv meds in 1993. Had pancreatitus in 1997 due to some medication at that time. had neuropathy with ddi, or ddc or something back then... now.. VL <50 for the past 7 years. CD 600- 700 range very active person and now i have 3 days in a row where i just want to cry. HCV+ also but liverbiopsy 2 years ago looked really good. elevated enzymes now because of the reyataz.. i have yellow eye! Do you think it is mitocondrial toxicity? how do they test for that? I am very thin, always have been , 109, no fat on me at all. My muscles are so sore.

thank you Thank you for listening. This site is very helpfull. I wonder...should I try to find some new doctors or try massage, chiropracter, acupuncture and diet change.. i have had leg pain, cramps, charlie horses .. for a year now. The past 3 days i have been mostly sitting on the sofa. last month went to see rhumatoligist and a neurologist. had lots of blood tests,thyroid, even x rays on my knees. all inconclusive. I said no to the test where they insert needles in the muscles and send a current through... no meds for pain. tried tylenol, advil now aspirin. Tried yoga, streatching, hot baths are a daily here, the water eases the pain for a bit.self medication by using pot and beer to aleviate the pain is not the answer. Dr. won't give me any pain meds. I am not an addict so i don't understand who they make pills for. i am on truvada norvir and reyataz. Dr. said it is not the meds. i just want to stop the meds. i have been wth my Dr. for over 10 years. Should i get a second opinion. i started hiv meds in 1993. Had pancreatitus in 1997 due to some medication at that time. had neuropathy with ddi, or ddc or something back then... now.. VL <50 for the past 7 years. CD 600- 700 range very active person and now i have 3 days in a row where i just want to cry. HCV+ also but liverbiopsy 2 years ago looked really good. elevated enzymes now because of the reyataz.. i have yellow eye! Do you think it is mitocondrial toxicity? how do they test for that? I am very thin, always have been , 109, no fat on me at all. My muscles are so sore.

thank you

I would recommend getting the nerve conduction studies to assess peripheral nerve function. I would suggest seeing a pain specialist if one is available in your area. In some cases of patients with persistent neuropathy that began when on drugs linked to neuropathy (often one of the D drugs like ddc, ddI , or D4T) I have switched off all nukes often with a double boosted PI regimen to see if there is any improvement in a nuke sparing regimen. N-acetyl carnitine seems to be variably helpful in some situations. KH

digestive problem
swollen belly