digestive problem

My son is on Kaletra and combivir. He just had an endoscopy and after fasting for 12 hrs. still had almost full stomach which is what is making him nauesa in the morning. My question is does Kaletra and Combivir eventually cause this as he has been on these for 2 1/2 yrs? Also he needs a simpler pill combo what would you suggest? he currently takes 4 kaletra and 2 combivir and with all his vitamins it is too much.

Thank you very much. Diane

Many patients on Kaletra/Combivir have GI symptoms. He seems to have a slow clearance out of the stomach area. That has not been a distinct problem with that regiment but bloating and nausea, gas, loose stools are not uncommon. For delayed gastric empyting in the absence of any pathology noted on endoscopy I often would try Reglan (metoclopropamide) which can be helpful for delayed gastric empyting with nausea. If no other conditions are present (such as diabetes) I might consider switching his HIV meds around (ie Combivir to Truvada or Epzicome-the latter if HLV B5701 negative and/or Kaletra to efavirenz or alternative PI such as atazanavir) in a systematic manner to assess if that results in decrease in symptoms. KH

High creatinine levels
1 year leg pain,cramps. enough!.