Ziagen sensitivity

Hi, I had the HLA test to see if I was likley to be hyper sensitive to ziagen. It came back negative and I have since switched to it a cople of days ago. Is this test 100% reliable? Is there a possiblity that I will still develop this reaction and if so, what symptoms should I be worried about? thnx

If you have a negative HLA B5701 test the odds are significantly reduced that you would experience an abacavir hypersensitivity reaction on abacavir (general odds are 2-6% depending on the population and that may be reduced to 1% or less after HLA B5701 testing). Sites using HLA B5701 testing are reporting greatly reduced problems with abacavir hypersensitivity reactions (HSR). Common sense is still important. The abacavir HSR is almost always seen in the first 8 weeks and usually invovles multiple organ systems (ie skin and gut or lung with crescendo symptoms after each dose). I still want patients to call if they are experiencing symptoms on abacavir even if they have had a negative HLA B5701 test. KH

drug classes
sensitive skin