The rash associated with Viramune & Combivir

I started an antiretroviral treatment in October of '99. No symptoms appeared in the first 3 months of my treatment. The combination of medicine is 300mg/Combivir and 200mg/Viramune; taken twice daily in 12hr intervals. As I creep into the 4th month of treatment, I am experiencing rash-like blotches. Is this rather normal? Any suggestions on management of this rash until I can see my doctor in two days?

THough the rash you described could be due to the drugs, it could just as well be due to other skin conditions that are often seen. The rash seen with Viramune usually is seen earlier than month 4. If you regimen is performing well from the HIV perspective then I would be hesitant to change it. Your doc and/or a dermatologist (skin specialist) should be able to sort out the rash for you. If your rash is itchy you might want to try hydrocortisone cream and/or generic low dose benadryl (such as 25 mg 2-3 times per day esp. at night). If the rash worsens to cover your whole body or involve your eyes, mouth then I would see a doc immediately. KH

lifestyle changes?
Treatment?