The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Rare case from the UK
Jun 17, 2007

My post of 4th May (same title) refers.

We seem to agree that a genotype resistance test is worthwhile in my case, because (to risk repetition!!!) the PCR test relies on the genetic sequence of the primers it uses to be complementary to the genetic sequences of the virus that is being detected. If there are certain kinds of mismatch, the virus may not be detected, and the test will not work. The resistance tests use different [amplification] primers to detect the virus, and thus may pick it up in the rare cases where the other tests (including the viral load test) do not. However, nobody is prepared to do this test here because it is difficult to sequence any virus when the viral load is less than 1,000 copies/ml. It seems to me that Im in a catch 22. Surely, if there is a mismatch between the genetic sequence of the primers that the PCR test uses and any (rare/mutated) virus, it wouldnt be possible to measure the viral load in any case. Hence, a genotype resistance test should be done anyway. Is there something wrong with my logic?

Response from Dr. Conway

No, your logic is fine. In most tertiary care settings (including our own), all that is needed is to explain the situation to whomever is in charge of the laboratory and such supplementary testing will be done. If the result is negative, however, and your situation is unchanged, you now need to be able to accept this result and move on. I truly hope that this is the case for you.

new drug ?
1 year From Sexural Assulted

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint