Insertive anal risks

Hello Doctor Brian,

I'm writing you because I have some confusion about the odds of unprotected insertive anal sex. I made a research on the net and many sites state that the risk is present but significantly low compared to other sexual activities like receptive sex (vaginal/anal). Is this true? My doctor also told me that odds for contracting HIV that way are 0.03% which seems a very low risk. What is your opinion?

Thanks for everything!

Response from Dr. Conway

Your question is a bit controversial and there is no definitive answer to it in the medical literature. The best information I can share with you is that the risk is far lower than the 1-3% for receptive anal intercourse but is much higher than the 0.03% that you quote. I would place the risk at about 0.5% (or one chance in 200), so it is still relatively unsafe, given the consequences of becoming infected with HIV.

Follow-up on needlestick question