Gut concerns

287I am a 33 year old poz male with a CD4 of 287/15% and a VL of 8300 and am not on any HIV medications. I've been HIV+ for about 7-8 years but am otherwise healthy.

I have been having severe stomach aches (not pains) virtually every evening (never in the day time) for the last couple of years. A feeling of extreme stomach bloating and ache right under the ribs that goes through to the back with a feeling of needing to burp but not beling able to. Usually symptoms also include constipation and a feeling of extreme hunger. Sleeping is not possible due to the discomfort which lasts for 2 - 10 hours typically. Colonoscopies, ultrasounds, scans, upper GI's and barrium enimas have failed to identify anything other than a high level of lymph tissue in the GI track. Is this a HIV issue or something GI specific? What are my doctors and I missing and what can I do to ease the nightly discomfort?

Certainly untreated HIV infection can cause a variety of gut symptoms. A trial of effective HIV therapy may be worth considering given your chronic gut symptoms and your CD4 count= 287. I sometimes try a trial of 6 months of treatment in situations like this and then re-evaluate. I often would use a gut friendly regimen like Truvada/Sustiva (Atripla if well tolerated) or Epzicom (if HLA B5701 negative) + boosted atazanavir. I assume you are well hydrated, exercise, and have good fiber intake. Lactose intolerance, gluten enteropathy, and irritable bowen syndrome are just 3 of many conditions that can cause symptoms like you describe. KH

Problemas de Sistema Nervioso
I am scared of testing