new on the horizon?
May 31, 2007
hi could you tell me what new treatments /drugs are available now or in the near future? hope for gene therapy or new breakthroughs in therapeutic vaccine? how long can drugs stave off AIDS? these days?
Response from Dr. Conway
In general terms, there is no eral hope for a vaccine or gene therapy on the horizon. We hav at least 2 new classes of drugs that are currently or soon available, integrase inhibitors and CCR5 inhibitors. With the use of these new drugs, it now appears that we will be able to control HIV for many years even in people who are heavily treatment experienced. It may be that we will be able to stave off AIDS indefinitely in all these people, but we can't know that for sure yet.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- White Bumps Could I Have Acute HIV Infection
- Sex With A Prostitute And Possible HIV Exposure
- Bronchitis After Sex With Stripper Condom Broke Worried I Have HIV
- Hair Loss After Touching Vagina Worried I Have HIV
- Penis Discharge After Vaginal Sex Condom Broke Worried I Have HIV
- Testicular Pain After Anal Sex With Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.