reyataz and jaundice

i btoo started a regimen of reyataz,truvada and norvir daily, and after six days i had jaundice-my eyes were deep yellow. my labs were ok though, my indirect bili was 5.2,but my direct bili was fine at 0.17, SGOT 15 and SGPT 18.my questions are, will i remain jaundice the entire time while on the meds? will it go away once i stop taking it? and, is this a type of hemolysis?

The jaundice seen with atazanvir mimics Gilbert's syndrome and is due to high levels of indirect bilirubin. Your level is fairly high and would be expected to result in the jaundice you are experiencing. There usually is not any increased hemolysis. Hydration may help a bit. The vast majority of patients experience no actual liver damage. Often an alternative PI or efavirenz can be used instead of ataznavir. If you and your HIV specialist seek to continue the atazanavir then in some patients I have switched to non-boosted Reyataz (often after achieving undetectable status) dropping the ritonavir. That switch often drops the ataznavir levels and reduces the bilirubin level in many patients. When I do that I check a HLA B5701 test to see if abacavir hypersensitivity is likely. If that test returns negative I switch the Truvada to Epzicom (the tenofovir in Truvada interacts with atazanavir requiring ritonavir boosting in most cases). KH

weird cough
New to Medication Treatment and quite worried