Can baby be HIV+

Hello Doc,

I am HIV+ detected an year ago and on ARV drug efivirange. My current VL is undetectable and CD4 count is above 400. Is it safe under such circumstances to have a baby ? I an recently married and my wife is not infected with HIV. How strong are the chances of my wife getting infected and the baby being HIV+ ?

Many discordant couples (one HIV+ and one HIV-) can have children without transmitting HIV to the uninfected partner. Depending on the situation/finances a variety of recommendations can be made (ranging from semen/sperm washing to in vitro fertilization to timing of ovulation techniques and pre/post exposure prophylaxis). Your HIV specialist is the best person to assess what approach would be best suited to your situation. KH

sexuality issues-andrgel
can I or can't I?