sexuality issues-andrgel

I am 48, hiv,male on viracept and truvada. I have been on androgel and anadrol for five years. My doctor switched the anadrol for serostim. I have two issues. My testerone levels are normal but I have larger feminine breasts. I also have has inconsistent erections 50/50. I do not like how my breasts are looking and how I do not have control over my erections. Any ideas?

There remains inadequate long term data on the safety of testosterone and other anabolic steroids. Given the concerns about hormone replacement in women that has been extensively studied (in large numbers of women for many decades)caution is advised regarding the common community practice of male hormone replacement. Growth hormone in HIV+ persons is only approved for use in AIDS related wasting syndrome. Gynecomastia (breast enlargement) is a side effect of growth hormone use as well as with anabolic steroids like anadrol. A good reference on the subject that I give to patients considering testosterone replacement is:

New England Journal of Medicine Volume 350:482-492 January 29, 2004 Number 5

Risks of Testosterone-Replacement Therapy and Recommendations for Monitoring

Ernani Luis Rhoden, M.D., and Abraham Morgentaler, M.D.

I seek consultative assistance from urologist/sexual therapist for issues related to impotence/erections and endocrinologists for issues related to hormone replacement. KH

tummy tuck surgery
Can baby be HIV+