Depression / Hair loss

Hi

I started on Stocrin and Combivir meds since this January this year after being diagnosed 2 years ago. At the time of starting my CD4 count was 180 and VL was 10,000. Last month (April) my CD4 is 290 and my VL is 77. Things are good but I find the meds take a lot out of me physically. I try to go to gym 2/3 times a week as I have put on a few pounds. I have a good BF who is negative and although my sex drive has diminished, he doesn'?t pressure me. We have been together 6 years. I?'m 34yo.

The reason I am writing, despite all this, I suffer recently a lot from depression and to cap it, my hair is thinning and my hair dresser told me I am going bald. For me this is the straw that breaks the camel's back, escalating my depression. My doc. told me this is to do with the meds . Please advise , is there a treatment or something I can do to stop this hair loss. I realise there are a lot of people much worse than me, but it is fuel to my depression. Worried !

Thank you.

Ken Honda Tokyo

Stocrine can aggravate depression in a small subset of patients so a switch to an alternative drug (often nevirapine or a boosted PI). The lamivudine in Combivir can occasionally cause hair loss (AZT less so) so a switch in NRTI backbone regimen (consider use of abacavir or tenofovir and to a lesser degree FTC) may help some. A consultation with a dermatologist can also be helpful for some patients. KH

creatin levels
PMMA for lipo