Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Immune compromised and Yellow Fever
May 2, 2007

My sister is about to leave the us to work in Africa. She had to get a yellow fever shot and was told by the person administering the shot that she should avoid being around individuals with compromised immune systems. My immune system is comrpomised (HIV+) and our mother is on anticoaglulant meds. Is this true and what is the problem with two individuals described above coming together? My sister leaves on Tuesday, May 2 and we really want to get together prior to her departure.

Response from Dr. Henry

If you are asympomtatic from the HIV perspective with a decent CD4 count (ie > 200-250) then usually OK to either receive yellow fever vaccination (uses a live attenduated virus)and to be around someone who has been vaccinated. Your mom's use of an anticoagulant should not be a problem whenit comes to that concern. KH

Previous
Cause of lesions?
Next
smoking

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.