Just starting out.

I was prescribed three perscriptions today Combivir, Sustiva, and Bactrim. My CD4 is 160, viral load is 22 thousand. Is this a good combination of drugs for me? This is all new to me and I thank god for this site because I have been told that I should not believe some of the stuff online. I was told that I was HIV positive just 1 week ago. Thank you so much for your help.

Response from Dr. Conway

This is an excellent regimen for you. The Combivir is one pill in the morning and one pill at night. The Sustiva is one pill at night. If you take it and tolerate it, there is an extremely high likelihood that it works. if you get any side effects of any kind, it is important that you talk about it with your doctor and discuss options that you may tolerate better.

The Bactrim is needed to prevent PCP and you will be able to discontinue this as soon as your CD4 count is reliably above 200.

I wish you good luck in dealing with your new diagnosis of HIV, rmemebering that with the current treatments available to us, it is quite unlikely that you will go on to die of AIDS. Congratulations on getting yourself engaged in care so quickly and so effectively.

Reyataz / Truvada Side Effects
Cause of lesions?