gynecomastia with antivirals

Dear Doctors:

This is not a question, rather just a statement to the 31 year old male with gynecomastia. Myself and several of my friends have been on various regimens over the years and have had the same problem occur. Approximately two years ago I had breast enlargement on both sides accompanied by tenderness. I too was diagnosed with gynecomastia and was told it was not serious. The swelling eventually went away and I soon forgot about it. Recently I am going through the exact same thing again. About 6 weeks ago my right breast started to swell and it is very tender, almost painful, and affects most of my entire chest area. And to a lesser extent my left breast is doing the same thing. I am currently taking Sustiva, Zerit, and Epivir and started this combo on March 5, 1999. I have no detectable VL and CD4's up to 570. Baseline numbers before current regiment was VL=200,000+ and CD4's less than 100. Given that, I think it is a fair trade off but am hoping the swelling and tenderness will eventually stop and disappear as before without surgery. As long as it isn't life threatening I will tolerate the discomfort to an extent but it does seem as if it is continuing to slowly worsen. I will talk to my doctor on March 1 for his advice. I hope you can post this because it seems as if this is affecting more and more of us HIV'ers, at least, in my circle of friends. Perhaps someone can offer some input and/or advice to us. Thank you for your time and the help you give through this forum.

Not much that I can add to that other than it may be worth while getting an endocrine work-up just to make sure nothing is too wacky. KH

the immune system effect of aids
Ringing in the Ears