What can you tell me about feeding tubes?

My brother has aids and is currently in the hospital. He has had vomiting and diarrhea for over 2 weeks. They said that he has colititis, not sure if it is CMV or not. They said that are going to placing a feeding tube in his neck, I am not sure what type of tube that it will be...I am afraid that it may be a permanent tube, and I am wondering how long people usually last with the tubes and is there any hope of ever getting off the feeding tube? Would this classify as a central line or would it be strictly a feeding tube? I live in PGH and my brother lives in Orlando and I am trying to get as much info as possible to understand, but I do not want to keep asking my brother or upset him in any way. Thank you!

Feeding tubes can be of 2 types. One type can go into a large vein (often termed a central line) and can provide vital nutrition/fluids directly into the blood system. Another type can be placed in the gut somewhere and provide nutrients there. Nutrition is often crucial to survival while attempting to treat a variety of AIDS-related conditions. KH

Side Effects of Atirpla
is sulfameth related to meth