Pseudogout

Dr. Henry, I'm on a med combination that has my CD4 at over 1100 and negligible V/L. The counts have been in this range for over a year. About 8 mos. ago I began having significant pain and swelling of my knees and ankles, which has since been diagnosed as Pseudogout. I assume this is a manifestation of my immune system. Am I correct? Why are the calcium crystals being formed? What is the prognosis?

I pasted the following description of pseudogout from the website http://www.iconocast.com/News_Files/HNewsXX_XX_F4/News1.htm

The similar disease called "Pseudogout" occurs when a specific type of calcium crystal (calcium pyrophosphate dihydrate) is deposited into joint cartilage. This is often visible on x-rays as whitish material in the area of joint cartilage. Like gout, pseudogout is diagnosed by finding crystals in joint fluid.However the main diffrence between the two conditions is that the shape of the crystals differ under the microscope and the components of the crystals are different aswell. Gout, involves uric-acid crystals where as pseudogout involves calcium-pyrophosphate crystals.Treatment generally consists of NSAID use; steroid injections are helpful in some. If an underlying disorder (such as hypothyroidism) is linked to the crystal deposits, then treatment of that disorder may help decrease the frequency of pseudogout attacks. Daily use of colchicine or an NSAID may also accomplish this.

It is a good question regarding either HIV or immune dysfunction can predispose to gout or pseudogout. I have seen thousands of HIV+ persons and only encountered several cases of pseudogout. The literature doesn't report taat the chances for pseudogout are clearly and significantly increased in HIV+ persons who are doing well on treatment. Trauma, gout, some hormonal disorders, and other conditions not related to HIV or treatment have been reported to predispose to pseudogout. If any reader is aware of a discussion linking pseudogout to treated HIV infection please post! KH

Avexa
Lost for words.