Atripla (Sustiva) and Food

I have read that the recommendation of taking Atripla on an empty stomach is to reduce the potential of elevating the efavirenz levels in your blood; potentially increasing the chance of side effects.

Some responses to similar questions indicate that it is OK to "feast away" when you take Atripla as long as your body can handle any potentially elevated side effects.

My question is this: does an elevated level of the efavirenz in your blood increase the chance of viral resistance especially if you return to taking it on an empty stomach...therefore creating unequal levels of the drug in your blood over time (by taking it with food on some occasions and without on others).

If the only potential concern of elevating your levels of efavirenz is the chance of increased side effects then I'd like to reconsider those periodic bedtime snacks! But I can't help but think that elevating the drug levels one night and then having them remain standard another night might create an opportunity for the virus to develop resistance.

Am I inventing a hypothesis based on reading too many HIV blogs or is this a valid concern? Thanks!

Increased levels of efavirenz that can occur when taken with food (particularly fatty foods) can cause an enhancement of side effects but would not be expected to increase the risk for resistance (in fact would more likely decrease the risk for resistance). KH

leg pain
Neuropathy in feet, reversable ? relief ?