Mitochondria - one more time.

Dr. Henry:

I am sending these two questions on behalf of two very good friends of mine.

In regard to those HIV meds that "do" cause damage to the mitochondria - how long (in months or years) does it take for the damage to become irreparable?

What are the known consequences medically to the patient if the mitochondria is damaged beyond repair?

I Thank You in advance for any answer you can send my way.

For most patients the mitochondrial damage is reversible (often slowly) after the offending drugs have been stopped. In cases where fat cell damage has been severe there may not be much clinical recovery of fat loss since the fat cells themselves may have atrophied/died. In my own practice I am no longer seeing much of a problem due to mitochondrial toxicity as I have switched patients off any possibly offending drug even before a clinical problem arises. KH

Zetia please...
dead links on The Body