hiv test taken almost 11 months
Mar 29, 2007
Hi Dr Brian, I have took alot of HIV tests since I was raped. All my tests have showed negative and STDs are negative also. I was formerly a blood donor and had to stop because of the rape . My last test was March 21 and the ELISA was negative. Can I stop testing for that exposure? It was last summer, May 06.
Response from Dr. Conway
You can absolutely stop testing. Unless you have had a more recent possible exposure to HIV, you are not infected with this virus. The standard is that you are not infected if your test were negative 3-6 months after the exposure, and you are well past this period.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Can A Healthy Immune System Fight Off The Hiv Virus?
- Can People With Hiv Have Sex?
- Can I Get Gonorrhea And Hiv At The Same Time?
- Currently It Is Estimated That The Longest Time Between Hiv Infection And Onset Of Symptoms Is About How Many Years
- Can You Get Hiv By Touching Sperm?
- How Many People Have Gotten Hiv From Kissing?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.