Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

worried gal again
Mar 29, 2007

Hi Dr Conway, thanks for your kind reply.(See below for your reference) I do know that my risk is pretty slim. I did experience a mild diarrhea 6-7 wks after the low risk activities. However, it only occured 2 times and both were before my exam. I have a stomach cramp + mild diarrhea on before my Geo paper, I was pretty stressed over this paper as I was aiming for an A grade. As I relax during the exam, the cramp and mild diarrhea were gone. Then, I experienced again on my last paper, I was stressed out as I didn't want to screw that up. As that was during the SARS period, we were required to take our body temp. As I wait in the crowded and hot room, I become even more stressed. So my diarrhea + stomach ache came back. That person said my temp was slightly higher. But once the exam ended, everything cleared up. I feel ok again, no diarrhea nothing!! So it is due to exam anxiety?

Hi Dr Conway, I have a low risk activities with a guy 3 years ago (HIV status unknown). We engaged in kissing, nipple biting (only lasted for 3 seconds as I said it was painful so he stopped right away) and finger play. I saw no blood on my nipple but my nipple appeared red. I also saw no blood on his mouth, lips and fingers.

The thing which troubles me now is that after he bit my nipple he used his hand to rub my nipple as I said it was painful. After that he looked at his hand. So now I'm worried that can it be the case that he knew he has bleeding from his gums or tasted blood so he looked at his hand to see whether his blood had come in contact with me? I saw no blood in his hand but can it be the blood is so little maybe he can't see or I can't see? My nipple sppears red sometimes even without touching it. Can it be a potential wound?? Am I at risk??

Worried gal!!!

Response from Dr. Conway

Alhtough transmission of HIV can occur from oral sex, this is quite uncommon and is from contact of the mouth of the infected person to the genitalia of the susceptible one. I am not aware of any cases of transmission from contact of the mouth with the breasts. If I were you, I would not worry.

Response from Dr. Conway

None of what you describe is suggestive of HIV infection in itself. I would not even bother to proceed with additional testing for HIV on the basis of your clinical symptoms unless you have engaged in addtional risk behaviors for HIV transmission since the episode that you describe a number of years ago.

Previous
I have been on Atripla for a month
Next
I don't wan't to take 4

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.