Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Atripla Side Effects

Normally I would ask my HIV doctor this question, but I am currently taking time off work, moving and in between providers. I was diagnosed with HIV in October 2004 and was put onto Sustiva, Viread and Epivir. I had no side effects and my CD4 count has gone from 131 to 600. Recently when I left my job, my doctor suggested I go onto Atripla since it consists of essentially the same chemical makeup as what I was on, and since I am taking time off to travel, it is easier to have just one pill a day. I started the Atripla a few days ago and have had some tiredness and extreme nausea, which tend to fluctuate. Having side effects doesn't make sense to me since the Atripla contains the Sustiva and Viread. Eventhough the Emtrivia is similar to Epivir, could my side effects be from that? I am wondering if this sounds normal and I should continue with the Atripla. Or if I should revert back to the 3 pills I was taking.

It is possible that the different formulation for efavirenz and tenofovir used with Atripla results in modest changes in blood levels that lead to some enhanced side effects in your situation. Waiting several weeks/1 month amy be warranted if not too bad to see if things settle down for you. KH

lypodystrophy
L-Cartinine, Guarana,Chromium