Kaletra/Truvada side effects

I am on a phase IV clinical trial of truvada/kaletra. It is my first regimine. It has worked well. I began with a VL of 107,000 and CD4 of 197. I am now undetectable and over 400. CD4% is now 34%. All this seems like great news, but the side effects don't seem to be diminishing. I have had diarrhea since beginning the meds which has been approx. 20 weeks ago. Gas is also another issue that is fairly extreme. Is there anything I can do to minimize these side effects?

That is a common side effect of that regimen. Increasing fiber content (ie oat bran) helps some. Calcium supplements (such as an Os-cal/day) seem to help some patients as well. Steady or as needed use of immodium or lomotil also can be useful for some patients. Evaluating for lactose intolerance (managed with Lactaid)or some other food intolerance (can be helped by Beano) also can bring relief for some. Anti gas meds (like simethicone) seem to help a relatively small % of patients. KH

Atripla
HAART and KS