Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Foamy, darker and odorous urine

I am a 54 yo old male in excellent shape, and have been HIV+ for 5 years. Since switching from Truvada/Sustiva to Atripla, my urine is consistently been extremely foamy, darker in color and with a strong urea odor -- very unlike before. I never have clear urine. My stool is soft, but not usual normally colored, if a little "curry" in color.

My metabolic panels have been consistently normal, and I think I am reasonably well- hydrated.

Could this be related to melatonin--which I take to counteract Atripla's nightitme effects? This is the only other known change I can think of other than the switch to Atripla, which seemed to coincide with the change in my urine.

Thanks to all of you for your heroic work!

I have had numeroud patients take melatonin and I haven't received any comments about a consistent change in urine characteristics like you describe. There are likely some different chemicals used in the Atripla formulation compared to Truvada/Sustiva but it would be unlikely (though possible) for them to cause the urine complaint. A brief trial off melatonin or use of the old Truvada/Sustiva could sort out those seemingly unlikely possibilities. Urine color/odor seems to change from week to week sometimes in a manner that is hard to understand. If your liver/kidney/glucose/ blood tests and urinalysis are unremarkable it may be tough to pin down the cause. KH

Lots of pain
saftey of excersise and lactic acid