Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

sexual depression
Mar 19, 2007

i got word that i was positive in november. the day before thanksgiving. needless to say that my desire to have sex have fallen alot. i am only 26 years old and have gone from 3 times a day to 1 a week and my partner is getting to become upset. he is positive too and has been for 20+ years. he said that the depression will go away and my sexualdesire will return but my docs at the va dont seem to know what there doing. my node count is beginning to get higher and they tell me there isnt anything to do. i donk know if it is cause i am new to being poz but i just want to know will i ever feel like my normal self again? are there other websits that have groups for the newly poz? i think my partner forgot about the pain of just finding out.

Response from Dr. Henry

It is fairly common to have some element of depression/anxiety after finding out HIV positive status. That often impacts sexual interest/performance particularly with the added worry about transmission to a partner. Getting good general health and HIV care can help. Low testosterone levels seem to be more frequent in HIV+ men and can compound the problem. Getting good mental health counseling, good HIV care, and having a supportive partner all can often help in returning to more normal sexual functioning interest but it can be frustrating. KH

Previous
Side Effects- New Meds
Next
Triglycerides and fish oil

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.