Atripla and smoking marijuana

I just started meds with Atripla (diagonosed 10/06 but may have had HIV for years-low VL) and I do not drink alcohol but do smoke marijuana So far just have the vivid dreams waking me up and some dizziness/loss of balance. Is the smoking marijuana bad with the Atripla? I have had a struggle with appetite for the last 6 months and the marijuana helps me to have a good dinner at night. The fact sheets mention Atripla side interactions with alcohol and 'street drugs' but not specifically smoking marijuana. Thanks. Your site is a God send.

Many patients smoke marijuana and take efavirenz containing HIV regimens without much difficulty. Certainly marijuana can heighten some of the brain/central nervous system side effects of efavirenz but that effect is highly variable from person to person. Marijuana or Marinol is sometimes used to stimulate the appetite or diminish nausea in patients on antiretroviral medications. There is no clear contra-indication to smoking marijuana and taking Atripla-depends on the individual patients. Your HIV provider can sometimes offer other suggestions on how to handle the side effects of efavirenz. KH

HIV+ CO-MORBIDITY WITH SLEEP APNEA?
Side Effects- New Meds