Constantly sick

Doc,

I have been on HIV meds (kaletra & truvada) for two weeks now and my viral load has gone from 850K to 9K my cd4 is 363 (it always has been over 350 since diagnosed 12/06). I am very lucky that I had no side effects from starting meds. I also was told I have Hep C. My question is I keep getting sick. I have had constant thrush, canker sores in my mouth, coughing up green phlem, and now this last week I was in the hospital with a submandibular abscess a fever and a rash all over my body. I am on antibiotics and getting better, but is there a reason why all of sudden all of this is coming at me? I have been a healthy 37 year old male that has always taken good care of his body and teeth. I am really confused as to why now. Will this continue to happen or you think it is just my body building itself up? Any clarification is helpful.

Often there can be a wide range of both drug related side effects and immune reconstitution symptoms/infection flare-ups during the first weeks/months on effective treatment. Those symptoms and problems are very frustrating since one at least expects to get better when starting HIV meds. For persons who weren't feeling bad before starting HIV meds getting symptoms is a shock to the system. The goal of antiretroviral therapy in that setting is to prevent future AIDS related problems and ultimately to find the right regimen that is well tolerated. Taking 3+ new chemicals for a long time frequently takes some getting used to. Most HIV specialists are used to helping patients deal with early side effects and switching to differents if the situation calls for it. KH

Serostim, L- cartinine and more...
right meds for HIV