Viread Kidney Problems

I was told in a doctor's visit today to stop all my meds, basically Kaletra & Viread because of the creatinine levels in my urine. The doctor said I might have (I for got to write it down) syndrome and my kidneys might shut down. Can you tell me the name of the syndrome you can get as a side effect of Viread and also if when I stop my meds if my kidneys can go back to normal functioning or is any damage permanent?

Renal dysfunction due to tenofovir is more common in persons with underlying risk for renal disease (such as high blood pressure or diabetes). The combination of Kaletra + tenofovir seems to result in increased risk. When my patients develop renal problems when on Kaletra + tenofovir containing regimen, I often would switch off the tenofovir to something like abacavir and look if any other drug dose or regimen (ie off other drugs known to cause renal problems) adjustments might be indicated. Stopping meds has its own set of problems including possibly an increased risk for renal dysfunction. Generally drug related renal dysfunction will improve when the offending drugs are stopped but that is variable and flare-ups of worsening disease can be seen when all HIV treatment is stopped. Thus your question is a very good and complex with many unanswered issues that need to be further studied. KH

Tooth Decay
MITOCHONDRIA