Mar 7, 2007
Why do HIV+ people have more tooth decay? I have this happening to me,my dentist figured out I was poz by my decay.I was scared to tell him my status
Response from Dr. Henry
HIV infection often results in immune abnormalities in mucousal surfaces that interact with the outside world of bacteria/micro-organisms. The gut is one location for that interaction as is the oral cavity. Alterred immune function, even modest, can result in an increased rate of gum disease that leads to tooth decay. I recommend informing your health care workers about your HIV status so they can adjust their safety procedures and treatment plan accordingly. KH
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Groin Pain After Genital Rubbing Worried I Have HIV
- Jock Itch After Rimming Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Painful Urination After Sucking Penis Worried I Have HIV
- Sinus Infection After Licking Vagina Worried I Have HIV
- Vaginal Discharge After Oral Sex With No Protection Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Can Men Get Genital Warts Around Their Anus?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.