First time on meds!

My specialist has decided it's time to start me on antiretrovirals. I haven't started yet as they had to be ordered in. But in the meantime I have developed what feels to be a UTI. I see my GP today, and may be put on antibiotics. Does this mean that I have to wait to start my therapy meds? And if so, how long do I have to wait? My specialist for HIV doesn't live in my city, he commutes once a month to come and see HIV patients like myself. So in the meantime I could really use your expert advice. Thanks!

Response from Dr. Conway

The fact that you are starting on antibiotics for a urinary tract infection should not delay you starting on treatment for your HIV infection. The only 2 issues to be considered are whether there would be any drug interactions between the antibiotics and HIV medications. If there are, it would be easy enough to pick a different antibiotic to avoid this. Second, I would probably pick an antibiotic that causes little or no nausea or diarrhea, to not interfere with your ability to take or absorb the HIV medications. If all of this seems a bit complicated, there is probably no harm in waiting a week or so to treat the UTI first, and then start the HIV medications.

why
Receptive anal sex risks