HIV &pregnancy

My CD4 was 504 when I first tested but I ve not tested again. I want to try and have a child. My husband's CD4 was 100. How safe is to have the child? Can I have the child?

Response from Dr. Conway

You raise a number of important issues. First, your husband needs to start on treatment, as his CD4 is so low. Off treatment, he is at great risk of a life-threatening complication of his HIV infection. Second, if you two are going to have unprotected intercourse to conceive, it is better that his viral load become undetectable, to reduce the risk of him transmitting a more aggressive strain of HIV to you. He may be carrying such a strain as his CD4 count is so much lower than yours. Third, you may wish to consider going on treatment yourself also, as you will be starting such treatment anyway after you conceive to make sure your child is not born with HIV infection. Alternatively, you may choose to wait to start treatment after you conceive. You should go over all of these issues with your doctor(s) before you make a final decision to go ahead and try to have a child.

Itching bite-like bumps
Test Result