Atripla Xanax Dreams

Recently diagnosed positive. (218 CD4, 228,000 VL) I will be starting treatment for the first time on Atripla next week. Does anything such as Xanax help with the dreams or any other side effects? Dr. has prescribed Xanax for my anxiety related to the recent news. Any other suggestions for dealing with the dreams and/or side effects.

Response from Dr. Conway

As you know, efavirenz can cause a number of neuropsychiatric side effects, including irritability, anxiety and depression. The most commonly described problem appears to be vivid dreams, however. I am not a big fan of dealing preemptively with the possible side effects of the efavirenz part of Atripla with medications such as Xanax. I would probably wait to see how it goes the first week...some people end up liking the dreams!!! If something occurs, you may be confident that it will get better over time. You may then discuss with your doctor the use of a medication for anxiety or some intervention for a short time to help you get over the acute side effects. Sometimes, a change in the timing of administration of the medication may help (as in taking it in the morning instead of at night). With the Atripla combination pill, you can't split the dose... If the side effect is more severe, you may have to consider other medications. There are many other effective choices, so don't worry about having to change...In any case, my best advice is to give it a try with an open mind and see how it goes...Good luck with this and with dealing with your disease...

testing bdna undectable without antibodies
HIV drugs and phychistric medication