What would you do?

Dr Conway,

If you like me had unexplained and confirmed erythematous candidiasis on the roof of the mouth for over 9 months (mild case as there is only a little pain) despite multiple negative HIV tests out to 6 months following unprotected sex, would you let it go as I have been advised or remain concerned?

My oral specialist ran what he called systemic blood tests which came back clear and I have not been on antibiotics or have diabetes. He says that he cant find a cause but I shouldn't worry! The candidiasis responds to nystatin but never completely disappears and merely grows back when I complete the course.

Should I take another test even though i've had 6 4th generation tests already?

Response from Dr. Conway

I would let it go, definitely, as long as you have not had any further risk behavior for HIV transmission. I would probably put you on a short course of oral antifungals rather than nystatin, though, to see if this will solve the problem more permanently. It may be that, after repeated courses of treatment, your candida is resistant to the nystatin and that is why it is not going away...

Disclosure of HIV status
PI's and lipoatrophy 2