The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

What should I do?
Feb 20, 2007

Dr, my husband of 10 years was just diagnosed as HIV positive. What kind of things should we do? He is on medication but I was wondering what kind of practical changes can we make to our life as far as diet and home health issues. Are there things he should now stay away from are there there foods he should avoid? I want to do do everything in my power to keep him healthy as long a possible. Are diet and exercise an answer?

Response from Dr. Conway

I an sorry to hear of your husband's diagnosis. It sounds as if he is already on treatment (do you mean antivirals?), and this is an important step in dealing with the disease. You should know that many people (including myself) believe that HIV infection can probably be controlled such that people who ar diagnosed in this day and age will probably not go on to die of AIDS at all, and their infection will be controlled for the rest of their natural lives. At this stage, there are two important things. First, make sure that good diet, rest, and exercise are part of both of your lives. A healthy lifestyle is key to remaining well and supporting the recovery of his immune system. Second, please do everything in your power to not have HIV infection transmitted to you. He needs you and you owe it to both of yourselves to remain free of HIV.

I wish you both success in dealing with this difficult situation and may you always continue to have hope...

muscle wasting symptoms

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint