Too high level t

Dear Sir.

My meds are:Zerit,Epivir and Abacavir. My problem: My triglycerides are too high (the range in the Netherlands is 0.8-2.5),mine are 16.4 My doctor said that this high level is caused by my hiv-meds (I wonder why he is so sure about this.) He said also that I have to take medecine,in this case "Gemfibrozil Gf".Twice a day 600mg. If I didn't then their is a change that I get "pancreatitis". My questions are: 1. Is the change to get pancreatitis higher if I don't take the med.; 2. Is that med a great help to lower the TG-level.; 3. Or should I stop with my hiv-combination and try onother one?

ps. The other bloodsamples were good and my viral load is undetectable and CD4 301.

thanks,

Response from Dr. Boyle

The antiretrovirals you are on are not associated with marked triglyceride elevations so I doubt that your high triglycerides is caused solely by them. The triglycerides definitely need to be controlled. Your risk of pancreatitis is increased by triglyceride elevation, especially by the significant increase you have. Gemfibrozil is an effective treatment for elevated triglycerides, but a recent study showed that by itself it was unlikely to lead to significant decrease or normalization of the triglyceride level. Starting with gemfibrozil is the correct thing to do, but you're likely to need additional medications to adeuately control you triglycerides.

Lypodystrophy
is mine is swollen lymphnodes??