HIV and HERPES

Dear Dr. Conway, I recently contracted herpes on my chest area from a nude lap dance. Is there any chance that HIV can be spread through the herpes virus at that same time as my exposure to herpes? My chest skin was totally intact without any cuts. Thanks in advance for your timely answer.

Response from Dr. Conway

It is extremely unusual for herpes to be transmitted in this way, so I would want you to be absolutely sure of this diagnosis (by culture of an active lesion) before concluding that this is the case.

As for HIV, there are no reported cases of transmission of the virus from genital secretions to intact skin, so I would not be concerned about this risk at all.

Hiv 2 & Rare Strains
New to ART, extreme swelling