C diff

Dear Doctor,

My roommate, who is HIV positive and has been undetectable for years, was currently hospitalized for c diff. However, I notice that the signs of c diff are the same as that of salmonella. When he was tested for c diff, would they have tested him for salmonella also? The HIV doctor said that it was unusual for a person with a t cell count of 680 to get c diff. Is it possible to test positive for c diff and have salmonella at the same time? I ask this question because we have three jars of the suspected contaminated peanut butter. Thanks from the South.

Often but certainly not always would stool in an HIV + person with diarrhea be checked for Salmonella. C difficule can cause severe diarrhea in HIV+ or HIV- patients. Patients could have both C difficule and Salmonella though that would be less common than either infection alone. If diarrhea/symptoms persist then it wouuld be worth asking about other infections including Salmonella. KH

ATRIPLA AND WHEN TO TAKE IT?
Cd4 count.