Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

What can we use?
Feb 14, 2007

My husband and I are positive. We've been using condoms since we learned of our status. I am on ARVs but he is not yet. Our problem is we have lost the urge of making love. We love each other so much but can now stay for upto five months without sex. When we want to do it, I immediately become so cold and very dry until my husband just can't continue enjoying himself, and neither can I. We normally have our balanced diet every day and supplements sometimes. What are we lacking or can you please let us know what to use.

Thanks always.

Response from Dr. Conway

This is a complicated question. Much of what you describe relates as much to relationship issues as to HIV. I would first have a discussion with your husband about what is bothering you and what is making you cold and dry. If it is just a matter of being dry, this can be overcome with lubricant. HOwever, I think the issue is deeper than that, and it may be something as simple as you wish he were on ARVs so his load would be undetectable, his CD4 count improve and he have good long-term health. It may be that as long as he is off treatment, you are at risk of catching his virus, for example. This is starts by the two of you talking in an open and non-judgemental way. Good luck...

Previous
lymphoadenopathy
Next
hiv myelopathy/myelitis

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.