atripla, why on an empty stomach?

hi! i very recently started on meds (for the first time). I am now aquainted with the beginning side effects of Atripla. wow. anyway, my questions are; why is it recommended that it should be taken on an empty stomach? (my I.D.Dr. told to me to have a snack with it.) And, also, are there any clinical studies supporting or condemning lowering dosages after a time? (because, I can tell you that this stuff is really toxic and weird.) also many thanks to the whole team at The Body! this site has been very helpful to me in the last five or so years. kudos!

Taking Atripla (focus on efavirenz) with fat containing foods can increase the blood levels of efavirenz that can lead to more side effects in some patients. Atriple is a fixed dose product so it it not possible to adjust doses. Often side effects from efavirenz will diminish over the first 4-6 weeks. If effects persist then checking a blood level of efavirenz is sometimes done to see if the levels are high and a dose adjustment downward is a possibility (that would necessitate spitting the component medications of Atriple up increasing the pill count). KH

Erectile Dysfunction
strong gas and burps