Discolorded Nail

I do not have AIDS or HIV. However I do have discolored nails. I was researching it trying to find a cure and found this site were you had answer a similar question. Which is both my thumbs and Index finger have a dark vertical line from the root to the tip. I am not on any meds, any advice would really be appreciated.

Response from Dr. Conway

This is actually a very common occurence in the setting of HIV infection, and may often represent a chronic fungal infection. It may be many other things, so the best thing is to show it to a specialist (dermatologist or other). Often times, a specific diagnosis can be made by looking at it. Sometimes, a scraping of the lesion is required to make sure of such a diagnosis. If it is fungal, a long course of Lamisil (or similar) can often do the trick as specific treatment for it.

Eye-dea
Mitochondria