For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

Atripla and Rheumatoid arthritis

I have had rheumatoid arthritis for yrs. Recently diganosed with HIV. Taken off all RA meds months ago and am allergic to NSAIDS. Started Atripla 5 days ago. My joint pain is so much worse since I started Atripla. Could that be the cause?

I have not seen data clearly linking Atripla with flares of rheumatoid arthritis (RA). Starting effective HIV meds can result in large swings in immune system status that could potentially impact an auto-immune disease like RA at least in some patients. If any reader is aware of a published report of Atriple being linked directly to RA please post. HIV can cause a range of joint problems that can further complicate the situation. KH

PEP Required?
what to worry about?