Long Term Usage

I have been on Viracept and Combivir for 7 years now. I have had diarrhea since day one, which has become second nature. My concern is that I am starting to experience depression symptoms and I was curious if long term usage of these medications could be the cause.

Good question-there has been little information on side effects from very long term use of various combination of HIV medications. My experience with your particular regimen has not indicated that there is any clear link to an increased rate of depression due to the drugs. Depression is common in the general population and even more common in HIV+ persons so it can be difficult to pin down if any single factor is playing a major role in the condition. There are a wide range of alternative HIV regimens available for many patients which often would have less diarrhea than seen with Viracept/Combivir that may be worth considering depending on your treatment history and HIV specialist's opinion on what is best for your overall health. KH

crawling sensation on my face
Mitigation of Kaletra/Truvada Side Effects