Stopping Viramune due to rash

Thanks for your response regarding Viramune and rash. I found out yesterday that I am not supposed to be taking Rifampin (prescribed for MRSA) with Viramune which has caused me to have strong concerns about my doctor's knowledge. I am stopping the Viramune until I can get to an HIV-experienced Dermatologist but want to know if this is something I can just stop taking or do I need to slowly stop taking the Viramune? I am also on Truvada. Thanks very much, JD in Chicago

Stopping a nevirapine based regimen can be tricky so that resistance to nevirapine (which would then cause resistance to other NNRTIs such as efavirenz) doesn't develop. Nevirapine can persist for weeks in the blood while other drugs often used with it (such as AZT, 3TC, D4T and others) have a much shorter half-life (time the drug is in the blood) so that stopping the entire regimen at once can result in nevirapine monotherapy for many days as the levels of the other drugs fade out. The drugs in Truvada (tenofovir and FTC) have longer half-lifes than AZT/3TC so the problem theoretically may be less though data is limited on that subject. We have observed patients developing NNRTI resistance when stopping a Truvada + NNRTI based regimen so it can happen sometimes. The best plan to avoid that problem is not well sorted out but often I might stop the nevirapine 3-7 days before the other drugs or give a boostd PI for a week or so after stopping the meds to cover the tail of nevirapine. KH

Vomiting when hungry
What is phosphorus and should I avoid products containing this?