Reyataz and Side Effects

Hello there. For about six months I have been taking Kaletra/Combivir. My T-Cell count is around 450 and my Viral Load is undetectable. My doctor said that after I became undetectable he wanted to switch up my regimine for a healthier long term.

He has recently stopped my Kaletra and given me Reyataz and Norvir, both once a day, while continuing my Combivir. On the paper I got with the Reyataz it says "possible fat displacement may include increased fat in the stomach/upper back and decreased fat in the arms/legs". This has always been something that I have wanted to avoid with medicine, and I was wondering what the likelihood of this side effect was with the new treatment combination I am about to start.

So far I have had only minimal side effects with the kaletra/combivir (slight nausea at first and now virtually nothing). What would be the possible long term side effects of my current combination that my doctor wants to avoid in giving me reyataz and norvir?

Thanks so much for your answer and your help in these forums. They are a sanctuary to many of us.

The risk for lipodystrophy (fat location and blood lipid abnormalities) appears to be the same or less with ritonavir/atazanavir than with Kaletra based on clinical experience as well as research study findings. I often switch patients from initial Kaletra after successful suppression of viral replication to a more metabolic-friendly regimen such as your doctor has recommended to avoid or minimize future problems even among persons who are tolerating Kaletra well. KH

numbness in hands
Neuropathy or sciatic nerve?